Before we look at the testers, let's familiarize ourselves with PoE and how it works. Like any copper wire, Ethernet cables are capable of carrying electrical current. Although primarily designed for data transmission, it can also operate low-voltage devices. PoE allows you to do just that. Your devices don't need a separate power cord, they work directly from your Ethernet cable. This way you can use one cable instead of two. Using a single cable saves installation costs. However, since you don't have to worry about connecting to the mains, the location of the socket is also not a problem. This means you can place equipment such as surveillance cameras exactly where you need them.
Now, PoE technology has some inherent limitations. A Cat 5 or newer Ethernet cable has four pairs of wires inside. However, at speeds of up to 500 Mbps, only two of these pairs are used. It's not until you reach gigabit speeds that data transfer actually requires all four pairs of wires. At a speed of 500 Mbps, two "zero" wires can be used. This means that PoE devices can connect at a maximum speed of 500 Mbps, anything faster and they will not receive power. However, gigabit connections are the current standard for home networks. Most devices don't need that much capacity, at least on their own. 500 Mbps is well suited for security cameras, credit card readers and other commonly used PoE accessories.
PoE is used in many devices. Surveillance cameras and WiFi signal boosters are the most common applications. Since Ethernet cables are already insulated inside the cable, interference is not a problem. Despite this, you need a PoE router or switch. Normal network equipment does not supply voltage to its cables. But if you're using PoE-enabled hardware, it's easy to set up and install. Just use an ethernet cable and you're ready to go. If you have problems, you don't have to worry about a separate power cord.
So how to choose a suitable POE cable tester? Next, this article introduces the PoE tester in detail from the perspective of measurement range, measurement function, power supply performance, and real-time PoE network test, etc., so that you can choose the right PoE tester.
Since PoE-powered networks are primarily used for system expansion, choosing the right tester is crucial. The measurement range must cover all available connection types without losing any useful information during use. On the other hand, if the coverage of the test is limited, it can lead to overtesting.
Since the PoE test has to extend the network, it is worth considering whether there will be problems with the extension during the test. For example, if you are testing a high-bandwidth PoE network and want to expand the network, you should consider a higher bandwidth tester.
Before starting PoE testing, it is important to understand all the connection types and services to be tested and the distances between them. This will help you choose the right tester and reduce waste from over-testing.
1. High-quality measurement: Built-in voltage, current, power, frequency and other measurement functions can help you determine network faults more accurately and provide diagnostic information.
2. Real-time monitoring: The built-in real-time monitoring function can help you detect network failures and provide diagnostic information.
3. Automatic switching: the built-in automatic switching function can ensure that the network failure is not missed.
4. Powerful power supply: Built-in power management features ensure you always get the best possible performance.
5. Multi-port: The built-in multi-port interface and expansion function ensure that you can easily connect to multiple network devices.
6. Flexible configuration: The built-in flexible configuration feature ensures that you can easily add and remove measurement options in the application to suit your testing needs.
7. Powerful Network Topology Management: The powerful built-in network topology management feature can help ensure maximum efficiency.
In PoE testing, power performance is very important. Power performance includes voltage range, temperature range and stability, and these parameters directly affect the PoE test results.
When choosing a power tester to test, make sure it has power management, which is an important feature. Because even if you don't test the power supply tester, you still need to make sure that it provides a stable and durable power supply.
Does it offer highly accurate voltage and temperature measurement functions?
• Is there an expandable power port?
• Can several test devices be connected easily?
• Is there a hot swap function?
Does it support testing PoE enabled devices (such as access points)?
It is important for network engineers to understand switches and router standards. Therefore, when choosing a testing tool, consider the supported standards.
· PoE power supply standards: IEEE802.3 standard, IEEE802.3 ab standard and IEEE802.3 ae standard.
Test object: A PoE enabled network can test a wired or wireless base station, server and remote desktop.
Test the PoE Network Live
It is also ideal to choose a PoE tester that can test and troubleshoot live PoE networks, as this is the only way to truly know if your Power Sourcing Equipment (PSE) is compliant with the Powered Device (PD) requirements. In a real-time PoE tester, you are mainly looking for two functions: Negotiated Power Level Test and PoE Load Test.
IEEE assigns ratings to PoE systems on a scale of 0-8. Type 1 and Type 2 PoE include Classes 0-4 (4-40W), Type 3 includes Class 5 (45W) and Class 6 (60W), and Type 4 includes Class 7 (75W) and Class 8 (90W ). ). For PoE to work properly, the PSE must be rated equal to or higher than the PD. That's why the best PoE testers report the agreed class PD based on watts.
In switches that support PoE, the amount of PoE power is allocated to each port according to the requirements of the devices to which it is connected. The best PoE tester is basically a PoE voltage tester that measures the voltage of each port while receiving the advertised power, also known as a PoE load test. So, if you have a lot of PoE-enabled links and are ready to add the best PoE tester to your arsenal, choose a tool that can check your cabling and test real-time PoE networks.
Price and Installation
When choosing a PoE tester, remember that each product has its own price range. For example, the TeleGear series devices used for PoE testing cost around $1,000, while the TeleGear Pro series devices range from $2,000 to $10,000. The specifications and features of each device should be carefully considered.
There are some issues to consider when using PoE tests, such as:
· Is training required before purchasing test equipment?
• Is the device easy to maintain and calibrate?
· Is manual testing required to ensure all functions work correctly?
• Does the device have a standard PoE adapter? Does it work in a standard outlet?
· Do you have to purchase all trial features and install them online?
· Can the device easily connect to other Internet networks? Does it work with other networks?
For network engineers, nothing is more important than maintenance. PoE testing is an expensive, laborious and time-consuming task that requires someone to help with maintenance and updates. You need to know how to update to keep your network looking its best. If you plan to use a PoE tester, make sure you have the latest information on its compatible hardware, software, and firmware.
To test the PoE tester, check the following features:
·Auto update function: Use the automatic update function to perform a system update without interrupting the test.
·Troubleshooting: Check if the PoE tester works normally and if there are any problems.
· Automatic shutdown function: when you turn off the device, it will not stop the test and will continue to run when the device is restarted.
The PoE tester is a general-purpose tool for testing the Ethernet (Ethernet) communication of any system. From simple static testing to complex troubleshooting, PoE testers offer a variety of test modes to meet your network requirements. As a tester, you need to understand its features and parameters to choose a suitable PoE tester. That's why it's important to consider all the important factors when deciding to try PoE.
For more information about the product, please visit our official website noyafa.net.com or contact us directly via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright © 2022 SHENZHEN NOYAFA ELECTRONIC CO.,LIMITED - www.noyafa.net All Rights Reserved.